Advances in inflatable boards have made it more difficult for manufacturers to stand out in recent years. The fact that the XTERRA 10′ iSUP does is a testament to its high quality construction. It’s a smaller sized board at 10′ long, but plenty stable thanks to the 30” width and 6” thickness. Fully inflated it weighs approximately 29 lbs and is plenty manageable for most riders to haul around. It becomes even more mobile when deflated and rolled up to its transport size. In terms of appearance, that’s one of the first things that will draw riders to this board. The red/black, black/white color schemes are slick, a very modern appearance for a modern-styled iSUP.
Don’t be fooled into thinking this board is all about aesthetics though, it is highly functional and able to hold its own on the water. The low-mid length gives the XTERRA excellent maneuverability, while retaining the ability to handle well on calm water as well. It’s won’t reach a top speed like a long board, but it does strike a good balance for those who paddle in varying conditions. The overall balance is accentuated by the broad planing hull on this model, allowing even beginners to remain stable in the chop.
Thanks to the breadth and thickness of the XTERRA, it retains an excellent weight capacity of 250 lbs. More than enough for many larger riders, or a few smaller sized riders (and pets). The three fin setup offers great straight tracking in calm water and added control in the surf. In terms of durability, this board is just as tough and rigid as any other thick inflatable. High grade PVC and drop-stitching are common enough to be considered a norm, and the XTERRA does not skimp in this respect. As an all around board, the XTERRA certainly has many of the right features that would be of most value to beginner and intermediate riders.
- Anti-slip deck surface – To increase the rider’s grip on the board, the XTERRA features a deck pad, designed to reduce instances of slippage. It’s effective without being rough on the feet, which is an excellent positive not found in all pads on the market.
- Bungee system – This allows riders to tie down bags or any other kinds of gear they want to bring with them on their paddling voyage. The bungee system is built into the board, so there’s no need to fiddle around with installation on your own.
- 3 fin system – One larger fin and two optional side fins. Fins are an excellent addition for giving riders greater control over the board. The fins can be set up for greater “straight tracking” or to provide more mobility when you are in the surf.
- Accessories included – They’ve bundled everything you need to get started into one package. There’s a hand pump for inflation, a board leash, a decent paddle, and carrying backpack to make transport of the deflated board that much easier.
- 1 year/5 year warranty – This is in addition to the 30 day satisfaction return policy. They’ll cover the board 1 year for defects in materials and workmanship, and offer a 5 year warranty on repairs.
Best Things About This Board
- The board is rugged – Like many thick inflatables, this board can withstand the rigors of the water. It’s comparable to a hard board in terms of it’s ability to take damage, but has the added benefit of being easier to move around.
- The weight capacity is nothing to sneeze at – 250 lbs isn’t the most we’ve seen, but it’s far beyond what many other inflatable boards offer, and more than enough for most riders and a plus one.
- Accessories included – Everything you need comes with the board. You might want to upgrade stuff like the pump and the paddle later, but the backpack is especially solid.
- INDUSTRY LEADING PADDLE BOARD DESIGN - Xterra's inflatable paddleboards offer years of adventure and fun on the water....
- UNMATCHED MILITARY GRADE DURABILITY & QUALITY - This standup paddle board gives you the durability of a hard body...
- UNPACK, INFLATE, ENJOY - Transport a boat or kayak can be tough. The XTERRA board's quick inflation and carrying...
What We Don’t Like About It
- The board has a bit of an odor – But this is only when first taking it out of the packaging. After giving it some time to air out it wasn’t an issue, though it was somewhat surprising.
This SUP Is Best For
- Beginners – This is by no means strictly a beginner board, but the stability goes a long way in helping beginners stay balanced while learning the ropes.
It Is Not Ideal For
- Speed – The stability and maneuverability come at the cost of speed. This board will never be as fast as a long race board.
The XTERRA is a good choice if you need a exemplary all-around board that will serve you well in changing water conditions. Though geared at beginners, it’s a solid board for intermediate riders as well and would make a great second board if you also have a specialized one for racing or touring.
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 22:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API