Once you get your board, paddle and leash packed in the car, you might think that you’re ready to hit the water. Not so fast! You don’t want to end up getting your head sunburned while you’re out there!
You don’t have to be bald to be concerned about the suns rays beating down on your head. So, do yourself a favor and get a good sun hat before you paddle out. We suggest a surf hat for the job since they are designed to stay on your head no matter what you encounter. Of course, you could also opt for something like a Buff UV headband. So, let us share some of our favorites to help you make a good decision.
What To Look For
As you shop for these, you’ll notice that there are lot of beach hats on the market, but very few of these are a good option for wearing when paddle boarding. So, assuming that you’re not going out when it’s super cold (cause then you’d need a dive hood to stay warm), you can choose from a bucket hat style or baseball cap style.
That being said, we do think that there are some features more important than others. Like:
- Full coverage – you need something that covers your entire head. And if you’re worried about your face, something with a bill to protect it.
- UV protection – some hats are made of fabric with a UV protection coating built right into. This is good for ensuring that none of those harmful UV rays make it through the fibers of the fabric to sunburn your head.
- Quick dry – Since there’s chance the hat will end up wet, you should look for one that is made of quick drying material. The last thing you want is to be paddling around with a soggy hat dripping sea water onto your face!
- Secure fit – It can be windy out there, so look for a hat that either has a chin strap or a special interior that keeps it secure on your head.
That covers pretty much everything you need to consider as you shop around. And we suggest that you go for one of these specialty surf hats instead of just a regular baseball call or bucket hat. You truly will benefit from one that is designed with the water sports enthusiast in mind.
- Floating hat designed for water use
- UPF 50+
- Brim flips up for paddling
- Designed in collaboration with the world's leading surf athletes and surfboard shapers, the FCS range offers a diverse...
- Designed for water use
- UPF 50+
- Mesh ventilation at ears
- Wide-brim hat in cotton featuring embroidered logoing and adjustable chin strap
SUP surfer image courtesy of DepositPhotos
Last update on 2021-12-08 at 02:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API