In order to be able to get yourself a quality stand up paddle board for fishing, you are going to have to think about what kind of conditions you want to fish in. It is also very important to think about how many people you want to be able to use the paddle board to fish off of. Once you decide these factors you can proceed to looking at the various aspects of the best fishing SUP that suits your needs. In order to help you with this task, we have compiled a buyer’s guide to go over the various features that you will find on paddle boards. We have also come up with a list of our picks for some of the nicest stand up paddle boards for fishing on the market in order to give you some idea as to what is available.
|Atoll 11'0" Foot Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board, (6 Inches Thick, 32...||Buy on Amazon|
- What To Look For When Shopping
- Helpful Fishing Features
- Fishing SUP Reviews
What To Look For When Shopping
For your convenience, we have also broken them down in order to show you the potential benefits of the board as well as the faults that they have. Keep reading to learn what to consider when shopping for the best fishing stand-up paddle board for the money.
One of the most important considerations when it comes to buying a fishing stand-up paddle board is the conditions of the water that you plan on using the board in. Especially if you plan on having multiple people on the board and you plan on fishing in rougher water conditions, you are going to want to make sure that the board is pretty stable so that you don’t end up falling off of your board. Another thing that you may want to think about is how you are going to be able to transport the board around with you. A large board is going to be more difficult to transport around unless you have a large truck or some kind of a trailer to haul it around in which is something to keep in mind.
Number of Users
One of the major things you are going to have to decide when you are thinking of purchasing a paddle board, is the amount of people that are going to be using the board at any one time in order to fish off of the board. Often time’s boards will actually have a weight limit set on them which is something that you should definitely keep in mind, so that you don’t accidentally void the warranty or end up breaking the board. There are a wide variety of different sizes of boards available in the marketplace and one of the major things that you should think about is the amount of room that you have on the fishing board in order to be able to properly cast your fishing rod. If you want to be able to set any kind of fishing supplies on top of your board, then that is also something that you are going to want to consider when you are trying to choose which size of a board you should buy. Keep in mind that it will be difficult to be able to find a stand up fishing paddle board that is above about 18 feet in length and boards of this size will be extremely expensive and most likely out of your budget range if you have one.
There are a wide variety of different materials that you will find paddle boards are made up of. Materials can have a large impact on the price, as well as the overall performance of the board. The cheapest kind of board on the market that you will find, will be some kind of an inflatable board. These types of boards can be a little scary to use for fishing largely because their design isn’t very durable. The nice thing about inflatable boards is that they are easy to store, easy to transport and easy to carry around in general thanks to their light weight, compact design. A material called polyurethane foam is used inside of most of the cheaper, lower end boards on the market. Generally this material is used inside of a plastic or a fiberglass design in order to make the board be able to float better. EPS foam is another material that is used quite often and it is a little bit more sought after largely due to the fact that this type of foam is lighter than that of polyurethane foam. The other thing that you may come across in your search is a board that has a hollow center. The best thing about boards that have a hollow center is that they are light weight in design which makes them easy to maneuver and much lighter to transport and haul around with you wherever you want to go.
Width is certainly something that you will want to think about when you are looking at paddle boards. You will find that some of the boards on the market have an extremely low width (below 28 inches) these types of boards can be very difficult to ride on, let alone fish off of which is something to keep in mind. If you want to have a sturdier board, you should look for something that is 31 inches or wider in length. The wider the surface area, the less likely you will be to tip and the more likely you will be able to catch your balance before falling off of the board if you lose it.
There are several things to look at when it comes to fins if you are looking to improve particular aspects of a board. The base of the fin which is the part of the fin that is closest to the board helps to make you more stable in the water, while the tip of the fin affects how fast you can travel in the water. There is also a leading edge of the fin which is the front section, this section affects how the board turns. The trailing edge, or the back section of the fin also affects how a board can turn, but it also has an impact on the speed of the board. To narrow things down for you into more simple terms: a larger fin with a larger base and bigger leading edge is going to make for a very stable board that will go quite straight and take more effort to turn. If you go for a smaller fi with a shorter leading edge and smaller base then the board will be able to turn more easily, travel faster through the water, but you will have a harder time maintaining your balance and control especially when you are trying to paddle around in rougher water conditions.
Number of Fins
The number of fins on a board has a pretty large impact on the overall stability of the board. The number of fins also has an impact on the ability to be able to maneuver the board with ease which is definitely something else to keep in mind.
- Single fin: Going with a single fin design, this will allow you to be able to paddle in a straight line. The more fins you have, the more drag that there is in the water. If you are surfing in calm water conditions then a single fin design is going to be the most ideal as it will allow you to travel the fastest speed when there are no waves around.
- Dual Fins: The nice thing about a dual fin design is that they are pretty stable. The problem with a two fin design is that it isn’t very fast. The two fin isn’t a very common design, but it is meant for moderate water conditions and is somewhere between the single fin and three fin design in terms of balance between speed and stability.
- Three fin: This is the most common type of paddle board. This design generally has two smaller fins on the outside of the board and one larger center fin or it comes with all three of the fins the same length. The side fins on the board are designed to be able to speed up the flow of the water and allow you to be able to ride at a faster rate of speed. Keep in mind that having extra fins does slow you down when the water is calm when you are buying a three fin board, but these are very stable and fast boards in the right conditions.
- Quad fin: Generally a quad fin design will have four smaller fins which will siphon the water through the middle of the board in order to make it fast. Sometimes the manufacturer will add the fifth fin in the middle of the board, but this isn’t always the case. The thing to remember about these types of designs is that they are very difficult to be able to use in slow water conditions.
One of the things that you will notice about fishing stand up paddle boards is that they often come with a lot of accessories in order to try and sweeten the deal and tempt the consumer into buying. Some of the main things that you should look for in terms of accessories are: backpacks or a bag to hold your board, leashes so that you can stay nicely secured to your board, paddles, fins and even bungees so that you can attach your board to something secure when it isn’t in use. If you decide to get an inflatable board it will often come with a pump so that you can easily inflate your board as you need.
How much you have gone paddle boarding can have a large impact on the type of board that you may want to purchase for yourself. The key to paddle boarding is to maintain proper balance; when you are fishing you are going to have to think about the size of the fish that you plan on catching. If you are trying to catch some pretty large fish, you are probably going to want to have a larger platform to stand on so that you can put both of your legs to work in order to keep your balance as the fish pulls on your line. Even if you are only fishing for little fish, experience plays a part.
Helpful Fishing Features
There are various aspects to a board that can help you to maintain your balance and help you to fish without worrying. To help you get a grasp of some of the options that are available we have come up with a list of some of the various features on the market:
- A Seat: Being able to sit down will allow you to be able to forget about trying to balance and instead be able to focus on your fishing techniques. One thing that you may want to think about is that although a seat does help you to maintain your balance, it can make it more difficult to be able to cast a long distance.
- A Leash: Although a leash may not directly help out your fishing, it can certainly give you some peace of mind. A leash is basically a rope or some kind of fabric that you wrap around your ankle in order to make sure that the board doesn’t fly away from you if you were to fall off of it. This is ideal for fishing because if a fish were able to pull you right off of your board, you would be nice and close to it and you may even be able to hop back up on top of it before the fish gets off of your line.
- A Paddle: Often times when you buy a fishing paddle board you will receive paddles with your board. The main thing that you should know about paddles is that not all of them are capable of floating. Certain paddles are better at paddling than other ones and some of the most common types you will come across include plastic paddles, wood paddles, carbon fiber and aluminum paddles.
- Traction Pad: One thing that you may want to look for on a stand up paddle board is a board that has grip built onto the top of the board so that you can maintain proper balance easier. The size of this pad will vary from board to board and different people like different kinds of grip, it can take some time to develop a preference as to the amount of grip that you like in a paddle board, but having a little extra grip in order to fish properly off of one certainly isn’t going to hurt.
Fishing SUP Reviews
To help you decide on the best option for your angler needs, below we share reviews on our favorite models that money can buy right now. Hopefully these reviews help you decide on a board for your next fishing trip.
California Board Company 11 ft. Angler Fishing Stand Up Paddle Board Review
- Soft top Paddleboard that can be used standing or sitting and fishing
- Built in fishing rod holder and Paddle holder
- Detachable seat and traction pad with foot wedges for sitting position
If you are looking to get something in the average to low price range then this paddle board could be a good option for you. This board is made out of some pretty high quality materials as it has a fiberglass design and epoxy resin. One thing to note about this board is that it is a single fin design so it is generally meant to be used in slower water conditions.
- Two layers of carbon fiber are used in the design
- Single fin box is adjustable from 1 to 10 inches
- Carry handle makes it easy to carry the unit around and transport it
- Full deck traction pad so that you don’t lose your grip when you are reeling in a fish
- Attachable rod and gear rack and ten foot board leash with the unit
- 7 inch width is fairly wide and therefore fairly stable
- Weight capacity of 250 lbs
- Single person design
So long as you only want to fish by yourself, this could be an ideal fishing platform for you. This board is made up of some high quality materials for its price tag and isn’t priced that much higher than some of the inflatable versions on the marketplace which is a huge bonus. It is nice that the board can accompany a variety of fin sizes in order to suit your personal preferences and it is also quite nice that this board comes with a few accessories to help sweeten the deal a bit.
Long Island Boards the Montauk SUP Review
This is another board that is in the mid to low price range category and it does bring a lot to the table. The board isn’t huge at 10 foot 6 inches in length, but it is still capable of supporting up to 350 lbs at one time.
This board is quite wide at 32 inches in width which allows you to be able to have some pretty good stability when you are out on the water, even potentially opening up the possibility to try fishing for some larger fish.
This board is made out of a combination of bamboo, carbon fiber and epoxy and it is pretty light weight making it not too bad to carry around with you.
- Three fin design makes this board quite fast in the right conditions
- Comes with a leash and a nice surface pad so that you don’t lose your grip on the board
- Capable of holding up to 350 lbs meaning the potential is there to be able to hold more than one person at a time
- Carbon fiber design is good for the price tag of the unit
- Eye appealing design
- Three fins may be a fair bit of drag for slow water conditions
If you want to be able to get a carbon fiber design in a good looking, three fin design then this is a pretty low price option for you. The design is light weight, comes with a nice leash and even has a traction pad so that you can stay on your feet when you are reeling in a larger fish. The grip combined with the very large 32 inch width is ideal for having extra stability and room to move around on the board; potentially enough room for two people if you watch your casts.
Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board Review
- NEW 2021 isup package comes complete with : extra tough isup travel bag, ultra-light construction, military grade PVC on...
- ISUP now comes standard with 4th generation black fiberglass isup adjustable lightweight 3 piece, floating, paddle with...
- Sleek new upgraded heavy-duty paddle board backpack / travel bag (large enough to fit pump, paddle, paddle board ISUP),...
If you want to go a little bit closer to the cheaper side of things, but you still want something of a decent length then this eleven foot inflatable may be of interest to you. One of the main selling features of this board is the amount of accessories that come with your purchase.
When you buy the board you will get a pump, a repair kit, a three piece adjustable paddle, a backpack as well as tie downs with your purchase. If you’re looking for the best iSUP for fishing cause you don’t want a hard board, then this is a good option for you.
- PVC is used in the inflatable design and is double layered for extra durability
- High number of accessories that come with the unit really sweetens the deal
- Very wide 32 inch board is great for stability
- Capable of supporting a very high 300 lb weight limit for an inflatable board
- Two year manufacturer’s warranty comes with your purchase
- Single, detachable fin
- Inflatable board is more prone to getting holes/ tears in it
- May not be the best for rapid water conditions due to single fin design
So long as you plan on using your paddle board in peaceful waters then this board could be a great option for you. The many accessories that come with this board is a huge bonus and can save you from a variety of expenses later down the line so it is definitely nice that there is this large of a package deal available. Probably the single most appealing thing about this unit is that even though it is an inflatable the manufacturer still offers a two year warranty on it, meaning that it is definitely a high quality unit and you should expect it to last you for a good length of time.
Aqua Marina Drift Fishing Inflatable Stand-up Paddle Board Review
- Durable 4 inch (10cm) double-wall drop stitch core material
- Sculpted balance flow curves board design
- EVA deck: honeycomb groove, heat Embossed, maximum traction and durability
This is another unit that is available for a pretty reasonable price tag as far as paddle boards go. This unit is an inflatable unit, but is designed specifically to be used for fishing purposes. The unit comes with things like built in rod holders, bungees to hold your gear, a cooler to hold your food and it comes with a bag, a pump, as well as a center fin so that you can be all set and ready to go as soon as the unit arrives at your doorstep.
- The entire portion of the top of this unit is covered in a traction pad so that you don’t fall reeling in a fish
- Built in rod holders is ideal for both comfort and convenience when you are out on the water
- Good amount of accessories come with the unit to help improve the deal
- High quality board is quite durable in design
- Almost 11 feet in length
- One of the higher priced inflatable boards available
As long as you are willing to pay this much for an inflatable unit, you certainly won’t be disappointed with quality. The accessories that come with this unit are very nice, especially the cooler that comes with the unit. At almost eleven feet in length this board offers you plenty of room to be able to move around on the unit, and you don’t have to worry too much about falling off thanks to a traction pad that covers the whole top portion of the unit.
Zray FS7 Fishing Board 11′ Inflatable SUP Package Review
- VERSATILE iSUP BOARD - Easy to maneuver with 1 central fin and ultra-stable at 30” wide. The perfect size for touring...
- TOUGH & DURABLE - Constructed of a premium double layer outer skin with a super rigid 6” thick drop-stitched material....
- ALL SKILL LEVELS - Fully inflated in 5-10 min (15 PSI max), it feels very similar to a hard board. Enjoyable for...
If you are looking to pay a minimal price for a quality board then this inflatable board could be a good option for you.
This cheap fishing iSUP is quite large at 11 feet in length and has plenty of width at 32 inches in order to give you lots of room to stand up and move around on the board as you wish. The board is fairly thick at 6 inches in thickness in order to make the board nice and buoyant so that it is capable of holding up to 330 lbs at one time.
With the purchase of this board you do get a fair amount of accessories in order to help improve the deal. You get a very nice pump with the unit, an aluminum paddle, a three fin design as well as a backpack and a waterproof case.
- Adjustable aluminum paddle cannot be sunk which is quite good for this kind of a price
- Lots of accessories in order to help make this deal even nicer for the consumer
- Can be literally rolled up in order to make the board extremely easy to transport and store as you need
- 30 day money back guarantee on the unit to give you some peace of mind
- Fairly light weight unit for something this large
- Low price tag is definitely appealing to a lot of people
- 32 inch width makes it easy to maintain your balance and control
- Could have a bit of a longer return policy on it
If you have a low budget range then this option could certainly be a good one for you. It is quite cheap, comes with a lot of accessories and it is easy to transport and store thanks to the inflatable design of the unit. The unit is nice and wide allowing for a lot of stability making for an ideal, cheap, fishing stand up paddle board.
Hopefully after reading this article you now feel like you have a better grasp on the kinds of paddle boards that you may find out in the marketplace and some of the features that you might want on your own board. Always remember it is a good idea to check into the company that you are buying from in order to make sure that they make good quality products. It is also a good idea to take a look at the company in order to see what their return policy as well as what the warranty on their products is like, so that you can have some peace of mind with your purchasing decision. Best of luck in your search and hope that you can find yourself an awesome paddle board that helps you catch the big one!
top image licensed at Shutterstock
Last update on 2021-12-26 at 20:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API