Inflatable stand-up paddleboards (iSUPs) are portable and compact with the advantage of user ability to transport them anywhere by any means available. There is no need for a roof rack for those who don’t want to do heavy lifting to get their iSUPs wherever they need to go. Transport can be by car, bus, plane, boat, even by bike or backpack.
By Vehicle Trunk
The most common iSUP transport is in the trunk of a vehicle. Most have backpack carry bags that fit into the trunk of any vehicle easily. If the trunk is roomy, most likely several iSUPs will fit in it along with paddles, pump, and accessories. iSUP transport in the trunk is easy and convenient but some users may not want to deflate their boards each time they use them.
Transport by motorbike or a bicycle needs a trailer to carry the iSUP, not a big trailer because the board is not heavy but easy to pull even for a pedaling user. With the will, bike transport bike is definitely a way.
Transporting an iSUP on an airplane could not be simpler. Store it in its carry bag or place it in a large suitcase and check it in. If stored in the backpack carry bag, tape the loose straps around the bag before checking it so they don’t get caught or torn in transit. A large rolling duffel suitcase can protect the carry bag and make the iSUP mobile so the user can pull it along and need not carry it once off the airplane.
For travel on large boats, iSUPs can be favorite toys. Ideal for boat lovers, they store away on deck easily. An iSUP is a great way to paddle from boat to shore or to other boats.
By Roof Rack
A frequent question is whether iSUPs should be transported on vehicle roof racks. The answer is yes, preferably with precautions that protect board and vehicle. With a roof rack the board can be tied on top. Damage to the board is unlikely but possible without added protection of pipe insulation, which is quite cheap and easy to find at most hardware stores, on the rack.
Attach the pipe insulation to the roof rack and then strap the board down over it, a sure way to protect the iSUP from nicks, scratches, or scrapes. Inflation doesn’t take long, especially with an electric pump, but the roof rack method is a useful option. It is convenient not to have to deflate the board every time, especially in daily use.
Even with no roof rack there are three ways to secure an iSUP to the roof of a vehicle:
(1) Foam blocks, basically temporary roof racks attached by nylon straps, are inexpensive and easy to install and remove. Not as durable as actual roof racks, they are good for temporary fixes. An iSUP needs foam blocks a little longer than those that secure kayaks.
(2) Inflatable roof racks are handy for securing iSUPs to rental cars. They deflate and roll up into small packages easily stored in a backpack or suitcase.
(3) Direct attachment to the vehicle roof is not the way most recommended as there is protection for neither board nor car; however, for short distances and if absolutely necessary, secure the board with the front side down for padding from the footpad.
About Highway Driving
High-speed highway driving with an iSUP attached to the roof is no problem. Most iSUPs have D-rings front and back. Secure the front and back ends and then the center of the board with rope or straps. If an iSUP has no D-rings, the user can add them. D-rings don’t cost much.
Although not all iSUPs are light enough for backpacking over long distances, many definitely can be carried without undue strain to remote waterways. With strength and desire this way is definitely doable. Many iSUP sales include backpack carry bags, a super convenience that typically holds the board, the pump, the repair kit, and sometimes a paddle.
As you can see, it is easy to transport iSUPs anywhere by any means. If not deflated after each use, make sure to check the air pressure before each reuse. Depending on ambient temperature, the inflation pressure could increase or decrease in the meantime. It may be necessary to raise it to proper level or, less likely, to release some air to lower it. With a little care in transport and use iSUPs last a long time.
- Roc's premium inflatable paddle board is made of the highest quality military grade material. We provide the most...
- Our extra wide design creates an incredible all-around board for riders of all skill levels. These kits can be used in...
- Our premium paddle board package has everything you need to enjoy your day on the water including: your board,...
- 🏄【BLOG HELPER SPORT CAMERA MOUNT】 Want to share your life and become an online celebrity like other bloggers?...
- 🏄【EXTRA STEEL D RINGS EXTRA FUN】 10 minutes to inflate and 5 minutes to deflate, this inflatable paddle board is...
- 🏄【FULL ACCESSORIES PLUS WATERPROOF BAG】 It comes with everything you need to start paddling : the 10.6 inflatable...
- Upgraded wide SUP design for better balance: measuring 10’6 feet long & 32 inches wide, balancing & stabilizing on top...
- Soft, stable & anti slip top deck: perfect for beginners, We've upgraded this inflatable paddle board with a no slip...
- Best paddling manoeuvrability: outfitted with triple bottom panel fins, steering & handling The stand up inflatable...
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 23:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API