Are you a water sports enthusiast who’s having trouble deciding on a paddle board or a kayak for your paddling needs? Well, if you just can’t make that decision, or just want to get yourself the best of both worlds with one piece of gear, then you should consider a SUP yak hybrid.
Quick Answer: What Are The Best SUP-Yak Hybrids On The Market?
- Ocean Kayak Nalu Hybrid Stand-Up-Sit-On-Top Paddleboard
- Vibe Kayaks 12′ Maverick 120 SUP Hybrid Angler Package w/Roamer Paddle Package
- Scott Burke 10’6 SUP/Yak Stand Up Paddleboard & Kayak Package
- Sea Eagle HB96 Hybrid 9’6 Inflatable SUP NEW Swivel Seat Fishing Rig Package
- HydroForce White Cap Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard SUP and Kayak 10′
- Kaku Kayak Kahuna Fishing SUP Stand Up Paddleboard
What Is It?
Exactly as the name implies, a SUP-Yak is a hybrid of a stand up paddle board and a kayak. It gives you the best parts and benefits of each so that you don’t have to choose between them when heading out on the water.
Most of the time, one of these hybrids will feature a kayak seat and some storage compartment, yet be stable enough for you to stand up and paddle when you want.
Benefits Of The SUP-Yak Hybrid
As you might expect, the most obvious benefit of one of these is the cost savings that you experience since you only have to buy one instead of buying a separate kayak and a separate stand up paddle board.
The SUP yak hybrid is a very versatile water craft that can be used for almost any situation – from the casual paddler to the ocean fishing angler. In fact, these are very popular among anglers who can’t decide between kayak fishing and paddle board fishing. So, if you’ve had your eye on a good fishing SUP but haven’t pulled the trigger yet, you may want to consider a SUP yak hybrid instead.
With one of these, you can do your paddling sitting or standing, which is perfect for longer adventures out on the water when you might get a bit tired out there.
Our Favorite SUP Yak Hybrids For The Money
If we’ve peaked your interest, then let us point you to a few of our favorite SUP-Yak hybrid models that you might want to consider purchasing. This is by no means all of the models available on the market, but it’s just a few that we’ve found that we think are worth your time.
Ocean Kayak Nalu Hybrid Stand-Up-Sit-On-Top Paddleboard Review
This right here is probably the best buy for the money right now. It’s one of the most popular and best reviewed hybrid SUPs that we’ve come across in our searching, so far.
Ocean Kayak is well known brand in the industry and they’ve built a strong reputation on making quality water sports gear like this.
You can order this one in two different sizes:
- 12-foot, 6-inches
A true hybrid, you can stand-up and Paddle or a SUP you can sit down and kayak Paddle Allowing you to sit down, rest, and kayak Paddle home if needed.
- Hull: wave-piercing displacement style bow, broad planning hull with Integral Tri-Fin design
- Stern deck bungee allows for storage of other convenience items
- Foot well: padded flat Bottomed foot wells offer comfortable & secure foot placement while SUP or kayak paddling
- Transport: bow and stern handles and two side-mounted carry handles help transport the boat
- Quick Seal hatch with cross lock buckle system
- Recommended Rider Weight: (max capacity) 300 – 350 lbs
We think that this model is great for long distance paddling trips. And it moves quickly and reliably in the water, whether you’re paddling standing up or sitting down.
Our only complaint about this one is that the removable Comfort Tech seat, which makes it a true kayak, has to be purchased separately. But other than that, this is a solid buy for anyone looking for a quality SUP-Yak hybrid to take to the water.
Vibe Kayaks 12′ Maverick 120 SUP Hybrid Angler Package w/Roamer Paddle Package Review
If fishing is your main objective when it comes to a hybrid SUP, then you’ll definitely want to check out this model from Vibe Kayaks.
Vibe is a relatively well known brand in the industry and they make a lot of great kayaks, so we’re not surprised that this hybrid SUP-Yak model gets high marks from our editors.
You can buy this one in a variety of different camouflage color combinations, so don’t worry if the colorful design in the picture doesn’t appeal to you.
- This SUP Hybrid is a 12 -foot 72-pound SUP hybrid board perfect for fishing, travel, or family recreation
- It has a 475 pound weight capacity
- Rotomolded single piece high density polyethylene with sink proof pressure-injected foam interior provides a no-flex solid deck
- 5 integrated gear tracks for custom rigging and 6 cooler or seat tie-down points
- Multiple storage options — 8″ sealed hatches and front and rear bungee tie-down systems
- Flat, open deck design with comfort grip deck padding, 5 easy grip carrying handles and 2 bungee paddle parks
The stable, no-flex deck provides superior stability, comfort and maneuverability. This versatile, lightweight board is easy to carry and get out on the water. And for those chasing down their next catch, it’s packed with features, including; five gear tracks, multiple paddle parks and front and rear bungee tie-down systems. The Vibe Maverick 120 SUP is ready to answer when adventure calls!
Scott Burke 10’6 SUP/Yak Stand Up Paddleboard & Kayak Package Review
One of the earlier entries onto the hybrid SUP market, this Scott Burke model is another good option for the paddler looking for the best of both worlds in their watercraft.
We love that this board actually comes with a detachable seat instead of making you buy it separately. Plus, it’s actually a comfortable seat!
- Heat laminated high density 100% waterproof EPS core
- 3 multi-layered (molded in) laminated wood Stringers coated with waterproof resin
- Detachable EVA foam seat to sit and Paddle
- Paddle kit to convert Paddle to a kayak Paddle
The Scott Burke 10’6 SUP/yak stand up paddleboard and kayak package combines the features of a stand-up paddleboard and a kayak in one versatile board. The addition of a keypad molded seat and footwells to this paddleboard lets it double as both a SUP and a kayak. The included paddle even comes with two sets of blades to help make the switch from paddleboard to kayak complete. The board comes with a single fin, a paddle, a pump, and a bag to store everything in.
Overall, this is a good choice for the recreational paddler.
top image credit: https://www.seabreeze.com.au