If nothing else, the Red Paddle Co. RIDE 10’6” inflatable paddle board has a unique look that is likely to catch the eye of many consumers. Its rounded, all-around shape is wrapped in a slick red/white/blue color scheme with stylish, modern, typographic elements. The board appears versatile and easy to handle (both features that lend themselves to the growing beginner paddler market). Red Paddle bills it as “the single most popular inflatable SUP board in the world”, and in that regard the RIDE certainly looks the part.
At 10’6” x 32” x 4.72”, however, it’s noticeably thinner than most of the strongest boards on the market. The MSL construction technique “Rocker Stiffening System” (RSS) work to keep the board straight, but heavier riders will find it difficult to stabilize (weight capacity is only 220 lbs). Smaller riders, on the other hand, will be treated to a board that’s a bit on the slow side, but very responsive to turns. On the whole, the RIDE is comfortable to paddle.
This board comes packaged with a pressure gauge, hand pump, backpack, and repair kit. The 2016 version has been updated to include cargo tie downs. There are also D rings on the rear and the underside of the board for attaching a leash or tethering the board. The 3 underside fins are built-in and exceptionally durable. In the event of damage, they can be reshaped after being exposed to hot water.
- MSL fusion technology – Affords greater durability to the board through an alternate construction method. Combined with the TecAir manufacturing process and RSS, this results in board that is thin and light without sacrificing rigidity.
- Built-in fins – The 2+1 fin configuration is built right into the board. No removable fins that could potentially be misplaced.
- All-around shape – This board has a rounded general purpose shape that makes it capable of handling a wide range of water conditions. Performs well on a tranquil lake, but has the stability to handle mild surf and whitewater as well.
- Comfortable deck pad – Durably constructed, but still cozy to ride on. This deck pad won’t tear as easily as some other iSUP pads will.
- Rugged carrying pack – Red paddle includes a wheelie bag rucksack to carry the board when not in use. It’s well put together, includes multiple handles, and wheels for darting through airports and train stations in a hurry.
- Waterproof phone case – Great for protecting your phone from getting wet.
- 1 year warranty – Manufacturer’s warranty covers materials and workmanship.
What We Like About The Red Paddle Co RIDE 10’6 iSUP
- The compact shape – It’s easy to control, stable, and works well in a number of situations. For smaller riders, this board provides a high level of maneuverability. The board’s curvature gives it smooth ride, even in slightly choppy water.
- Maintains stiffness at lower pressures – The MSL fusion technology and airtight coating have created a more well constructed board, free of manufacturing errors caused by hand gluing. The result is a board that is both strong and light, and can stay so even at lowered PSI.
- Easy to transport – The board deflates and rolls up into a tight and compact package. The inclusion of the wheelie backpack makes storing and moving this board a real cakewalk.
What We Don’t Like About The Red Paddle Co RIDE 10’6 iSUP
- Board is a bit on the thin side – With the plethora of 6” and now 8” thick boards available, 4.72” seems a bit slim. It’s fine for smaller and lighter riders, but big riders may experience some difficulty, especially with that skimpy 220 pound weight limit.
- It’s a bit slow – This board can make some quick turns, but is lacking in terms of speed and acceleration. Beginners won’t have much to complain about, but more experienced riders who like to go fast might not be too thrilled.
- No paddle included – Most boards include at least a decent paddle that, while not the best, is usually serviceable, and enough to take right to the water. Not so with the RIDE, you’ll have to get the paddle separately.
This iSUP Is Best Suited For
- Newbies – Anyone just getting acclimated to paddle boarding is going to take to this board. Its abilities in the water are well suited to newcomers, as the board doesn’t move too quickly, but turns and handles very responsively. Its ability to handle multiple kinds of water is also helpful.
- A comfortable paddling experience – The RIDE’s shape allows it to cut through water, even surf, with relative ease. The built in fins help the board track quickly.
- Those who prefer general use boards – This board has a lot of range, and while it’s not the best at any one thing, it can do a great many things well.
This iSUP Is Not So Great For
Heavier riders – This board has a 220 pound weight limit. Anyone on the larger side will find balancing on this board a chore.
There’s a reason this board is referred to as a classic. The ability to function well in a range of water conditions, combined with a wide riding surface and plenty of solid accessories make the RIDE an excellent choice for those that want a easy-to-use first board or a solid multi-purpose secondary board.
Just don’t expect to be breaking any water speed records any time soon!