The California Board Company 10-6 stand-up paddleboard, created by Keeper Sports, is a mid-size board designed for beginner paddlers. Measuring 10.5” x 31” x 5.5, the CBC paddleboard has plenty of widths and provides a large surface for beginners to gain their balance. If you’re newly interested in paddling, then the California board company is the best option for you.
Disclosure: We receive compensation from the companies whose products we review. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
The shorter (but by no means the quickest) length of the board enables reasonably responsive turning and a decent capacity for catching some smaller waves, without being so compact that a beginner has difficulty learning the ropes. It’s a reasonable balance that lets a new rider get a feel for the water and then decide if they’d want to graduate to a different style of board that skews in one direction or another stat wise.
The board weighs 25 pounds and has a wide, rounded nose shape that gives the board greater flotation. The contour of this board is such that it pushes away a right amount of water and retains stability. For added durability and rigidity, the board sports three wooden stringers. The 10-6 board’s top has a high density, heat-laminated deck.
Made from wood that is 100% waterproof, this California Board Company Stand Up Paddle Board is reliable and affordable. The CBC 10-6 is made from high-density EPS foam, so it’s very durable and will hold up well in the water. The weight capacity on this board is also fairly high at 300 pounds. The edges on this board are thick enough to improve stability even further.
The board is also equipped with a fair number of additional features and perks that make it an attractive option as an initial or budget board, such as neoprene padded ankle straps, adjustable sup paddle, surf leash, and instant padded roof racks. It also has 3 multi-layered laminated wood stringers coated with waterproof resin.
- Single center fin – A fiberglass fin can be attached to the middle of the board to increase straight riding on flat water. As it is a removable option, riders should take care not to misplace it.
- 100% waterproof core – Keeps water out and prevents the board from warping due to water damage or having the way the board handles changed.
- Padded roof rack – Allows for riders to strap the board to vehicles merely. Makes this board a great option if you need something you can transport with relative ease.
- Surf leash & paddle included – The CBC 10-6 comes equipped with a surf leash to keep you and your board connected out on the water. You might take a spill, but at least your board won’t get away from you. The board is equipped with an adjustable paddle with a blade shield.
- Nylon handle – The center-mounted handle comes with finger grooves that make it easy to grab hold of and carry from the water to your vehicle or vice versa.
- Camera mount – If you want to video some of your action on the water, there’s a designated location for hooking a camera up to the board.
- 30-day warranty – In the event, something out of the ordinary should happen with your board. Covers defects outside of regular use.
Best Things About This CBC paddleboard
- It’s a lightweight board – Very easy to handle and carry. Some other boards can weigh upwards of 30 pounds, but this board is only 25 pounds.
- Includes some accessories – The board comes with a leash and paddle, as well as a roof rack for transport and a camera mounting option.
- Great weight capacity – Can support up to 300 pounds. If you’re a heavier rider, this is great news. It’s also a good choice if you want to take your dog out on the water with you.
- High Density EPS Foam; 100% Waterproof core ; Surf Leash Included
- Camera Mount ; Instant padded roof rack makes it easy to strap your board to almost any vehicle. ; Adjustable SUP paddle...
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs
What We Don’t Like About It
- No traction pad – The foam surface of the board provides some grip, but it’s not what you’d get with a diamond groove pad or other non-slip covering.
- No mounting option for bungee system – So no feasible solution for carrying gear. You might be able to jury-rig something onto the surface of the board, but run the risk of damaging it.
- Roof rack system is tinier than expected – A better option would be 3rd party tensions straps and some foam padding to keep your roof safe.
This SUP Is Best For
- Beginners – The board is stable, balanced, and not too expensive, making it an ideal choice for beginners who are just getting into paddle boarding.
- A stable secondary board – It’s wide and thick, which provides a durable standing surface. It’s also priced so that you can pick it up as a backup or extra board to lend to friends.
It Is Not Ideal For
- Speed or surf – The board performs reasonably well and can catch some small waves, but stability is its true forte.
Final Review of The California Board Company 10-6 Stand-Up Paddleboard
Although the California Board Company SUP is relatively cheaper compared to most SUPs, the CBC 10-6 is an excellent balanced board for beginner paddlers. Anyone just starting the sport and trying to build their skills lightweight hard board option would be well served by this CBC paddleboard. It’s not a stand out performance board, but its stability and simplicity provide just what a newcomer needs.