You may already know manufacturer BIC for their range of pens, lighters, and other household items. Those big into water sports though know that BIC has also been providing an amazing selection of boarding gear for years, and the ACE-TEC Performer paddle board is no exception. Rather than create one model of this all around board at a fixed size, the Performer comes in three lengths to accommodate riders of different sizes.
There’s a 9’2” model, for riders ranging from 150-180 lbs; a 10’6” model, for riders ranged 200-220 lbs; and an 11’6” model, for riders ranged 240-300 lbs. All of the models benefit from BIC’s “Ace-Tec” (Advanced Composite Engineered Technology) construction. This construction method stacks layers of fiberglass between layers of styrene polymers, which are then wrapped in a protective outer shell, resulting in a board that is both outstandingly durable and relatively lightweight.
Comparative to their length, these boards are particularly wide, which affords them added stability. Even beginner riders will find it easy to balance on these boards. This is especially good for those making their first forays into wave riding. In the event that you do take a fall, there’s little worry of the board getting torn to shreds thanks to the rugged construction technique.
By evenly distributing the volume of the Performer, BIC has created a board that rides smooth and comfortably in a wide range of water conditions. The overall shape of the board, influenced by popular surfing long board designs, gives the Performer the ability to handle both glide through flat water, and tackle light waves. The rounded tail design offers smooth and precise turning abilities.
- Ace-Tec Construction – Layering multiple polymers creates a durable board that is also lightweight and easy to transport.
- Embossed deck pad – the EVA diamond deck pad balances comfort and traction, allowing riders to stay on the board without killing their feet.
- Thruster fin setup – Includes a 10” central “dolphin fin” and two optional FCS M5 side fins for improved stability.
- Ergonomic carrying grip – The “Ergo-Grip” center handle provides an excellent handling point for transporting this board.
- Rocker profile – Provides performance in both flat water and surf conditions. Rounded tail facilitates turning.
- Multiple attachment rings – One in the back for a board leash, and two at the front for a dock line or to secure gear.
- 1 year warranty – Covers defects in materials and workmanship.
What We Like About The BIC Sport ACE-TEC Performer SUP
- Multiple sizes to choose from – Riders of various heights and weights can enjoy the features that the Performer has to offer, thanks to BIC producing several versions at different sizes.
- It’s shaped to handle various conditions – Fans of flat water and surf can find some value in the design of this board.
- Built for durability – You can put this board through some rough conditions and still have it come out the other end no worse for wear.
- Lighter than expected – One would think that a board this tough would weigh a ton, but even the longest model, the 11’6”, only weighs 30 lbs. When using the center carry handle to transport, even weaker riders can move this board with ease.
What We Don’t Like About The BIC Sport ACE-TEC Performer SUP
- Light On Accessories – You’ll likely be getting just the board when you go for the BIC. If you were hoping to score a nice paddle and maybe a leash together, you’re out of luck. Even the two optional side fins you have to buy separately, on the center fin is included.
This SUP Is Best Suited For
- Beginner and intermediate riders – The Performer’s width lends itself well to balance, which is what beginners need when first learning to paddle board. It’s light enough to be easy to handle, while heavy enough to perform in a reliable and predictable manner.
- Instructors – By virtue of these being so great for beginners, instructors who need a few boards to lend out to students would find great value in the BIC Performer. Teaching the rudiments on a stable board that can handle changing conditions makes lessons go much more smoothly, and allows instructors to concentrate on instilling proper techniques rather than worrying about their students constantly falling off the boards.
- Crossover riders – If you do lots of transitioning from flat water paddling to ocean surf, this board will be able to support you in both arenas and deliver an above average performance in each.
- Anyone looking for a rugged board – The Air-Tec construction isn’t just a clever marketing gimmick, BIC has created a board that is supremely durable, and will hold up under punishment. If you like to get a lot out of your boards then the Performer will suit you well.
This SUP Is Not So Great For
- Touring/Race – This isn’t a slimline touring paddle board, so if you’re a rider who’s got a need for speed, you may want to look elsewhere for your perfect main board.
BIC’s Performer is a great all-around board, and perfect for the kind of riders who prefer hi-tech polymers to the bevy of inflatable board options. Newbies will be thrilled by the amazing stability the board offers, while higher level riders will appreciate the superior toughness and ability to transition through multiple water conditions. Overall this is an excellent board that can be thoroughly recommended to riders of all skill levels and weight ranges.